We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking. -- Finis Mitchell

The People's Coast Classic


In addition to all of my trips this summer (backpacking, kayaking, mountain climbing, hiking) I decided to undertake one more adventure.

This one is for a charity.

I will be participating in the 363-mile People's Coast Classic bicycle ride. This ride will be along the entire Oregon coast and its all for a great cause. The funds that I raise will be going to benefit the Arthritis Foundation.

"I read somewhere... of how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong... to measure yourself at least once."

I am riding for a number of reasons.

Many of my loved ones are affected by arthritis. Both my mom and dad have it. My niece was diagnosed with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis at age four and eventually went blind in one eye. I have aunts that have it, and I'm sure a few uncles. Pretty much most of the people I know have it in some way, shape or form.

And then this opportunity presented itself for this ride. My dad is big into street bicycling. I'm more into mountain biking. But this was something that I could share with him.

Then the other half of the Northern Rangers, Jeff, decided he wanted to come along. And I couldn't think of two guys I'd rather do this ride with.

I always talk about how I want to do certain things, well at some point you have to stop talking about what you want to do and you have to do it.

I am blessed enough to have the ability to do this ride for those I love. And for anyone that is affected by arthritis.

And since I already had a summer full of hiking, backpacking, kayaking and mountain climbing planned. So I figured, might as well add in biking.

I invite you to follow as we train for this great cause. Please donate if you can. If you can't please say a prayer for us. That's just as good in my book.

If you are able to make a donation, please do so at my site: http://tppcc.kintera.org/caseyknopik

Also, any donation is tax deducible.

But mainly you'll be helping the over 46 million adults in the US that suffer from arthritis. Think about it, I'm sure you know someone in your life who has it.

Thank you for your thoughts and donations. I'll continue to update the blog with how my training is going.

2 comments:

  1. God bless you. You did a good thing. Please inform me for another charity event. I’ll be happy to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds great! I am also very fond of climbing and hiking with family and my friends. And by the way, I am very impressed with the charity work you do. I hope God bless you. I really want to do the same with you. Therefore, if there is a charity event like that again, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete