We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking. -- Finis Mitchell

Lei Wang update


A few months ago I wrote a post about how we'd be updating our readers on Lei Wang's journey up Mount Everest in her quest to become the first Chinese woman, as well as the first Asian-American woman to reach the seven summits and both poles.

Well, here come the updates. Lei is well on her way.

We received this update:

Didn’t sleep too well last night. Went to bed late because I stayed up to write journal after watched the movies, then woke up a few times. I woke up before dawn at bell ring of passing yaks. Based on my past experience, I know I’m slow on the acclimatization process, that’s why I wanted to do the extra trekking before the group arrives. I must be a little bit of nervous about the climb. I dreamt of strange oxygen saturation numbers a couple times, and woke up to feel my heart beat much faster than my normal pace at sea level. As the altitude goes higher, the heart beat speeds up because of the extra work needed to pump more oxygen into blood system (is that correct? – I need to study more of the change of heart and red blood cell at altitude)

You can view the rest of her update over on her site.

Keep checking back for more updates of Lei's adventure. We'll keep you posted as we find out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment