We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking. -- Finis Mitchell

Local leaders to climb Rainier


I just came across this story on seahawks.com:

Beginning July 5th Seahawks CEO Todd Leiweke, head coach Jim Mora and six other community leaders will climb Mt. Rainer to raise money for the “Response for Basic Needs” fund.”

Since last July Leiweke has been campaign chair of United Way of King County and has been instrumental in getting Seahawks and SoundersFC players and coaches involved in numerous United Way fund raisers and activities.

“The entire nation is feeling the weight of the economy,” said Leiweke. “Here in the Northwest, when people are hurting we rally together and do something about it. It is our hope that the community will join us by making a donation to our basic needs effort upon which so many of our neighbors rely.”

Leiweke and Mora will be joined on the climb by Jon Fine, CEO United Way of King County, Fred Kiga Vice President, State and Local Government/Global Corporate Citizenship, The Boeing Company, Molly Nordstrom incoming Board Chair, UWKC, John Thelan, Senior VP of Depot Operations of Costco and Roger Goodell, NFL Commissioner.

The group will be served by three guides led by legendary mountaineer Ed Viesturs and Pete Whittaker.

“I’ve been looking at Mt. Rainier since I was 12, coach Mora said, “It’s about time I climb it.”

I think this idea is just awesome. I really hope the site will post some pictures and even video from the climb.

Just like Mora, I have wanted to climb that mountain since I was a boy. And someday (probably next year) I will. I think it will be an incredible accomplishment. It's just great that local leaders are climbing Washington's most recognized landmark for charity.
From JustSON good luck in July climbers!

No comments:

Post a Comment